Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Asperger's Speaks: It's Time to Rant

The Autism Speaks message board has some unique characters.

Mostly parents, some autistics. A few of the parents there are extremely nice and willing to listen to what I have to say. Combine their comments with the ones I've gotten from this blog and the Neurointegrity board (link on side), I've gotten too many positive comments to count.

So really, I know I've done a good job at the end of each day.

But some don't agree with that. I've annoyed several people and I have no clue why. One person has even gone as far as labeling me a rep for Big Pharma. As if! I am truly one of the most open-minded and nicest people on the entire intarwebz. I don't purposely try to annoy people. That's just not my style.

I'm not perfect. I make mistakes. But I'm not the annoying ass**** some think I am.

4 comments:

Maya M said...

A friend of mine says, "I don't require all people to love me. I also don't love all people."
Don't let other people hurt your self-esteem.
I know this is easier said than done. These days, after I wrote quite an innocent post, another blogger (whom I have known, liked and respected for more than a year) accused me of gullibility, professional incompetence and dishonesty. He is now calling me "sister", which is offensive in his culture. And I cannot even figure out what is going on and why it started.
People are strange creatures.

S.L. said...

I second the wisdom Maya shared with you.

Those are the same people who bash us parents, as well. They are angry & bitter, and utterly close-minded. FWIW, I too have recently been named as someone working for Big Pharma (um, interesting considering I have no 'real' job, no income...), by a certain blogger who 'dislikes' autism. Bizarro!

S.L. said...

Oh, and I wanted to add...

Keep doing what you are doing, letting your voice be heard on such message boards. It is invaluable, and you are changing parents' perspectives. And, in turn, changing their children's lives, for the better. I have greatly appreciated every bit of input, experience, and information I've learned from adult autistics.

Anonymous said...

There is a 13 year old boy with Asperger Syndrome who has a few - JUST a few - words to say about Autism Speaks. But they are absolutely hilarious.

They come at the very end of the July 2008 podcast put out by Midnight In Chicago at www.mic.mypodcast.com

Listen to the one entitled:

"Special Feature Interview with Douglas Giesel and An Update Interview with Lewis Schofield"

Go to the very end if you are not interested in listening to the whole thing and hear what Lewis says.

They are free to download, and waiting around for the ending makes it all worth it.