Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Why is it that...

Every time I find a volunteer opportunity, it disappears from me before I can even apply?

Several months back, I intended to volunteer for Big Brothers Big Sisters. Sounds good, except the local branch here requires a valid driver's license. Seeing as how I can't legally obtain one due to my sensory issues, I'm out of luck there.

Fast-forward to now. I find an opportunity at Phoenix Children's Hospital. Transportation could be worked out. Volunteers are required to have specialized training, which they provide in-house. No problem for me, except their website says this training is "very costly". What does that mean, exactly? If it's money, than I'm screwed. Again.

And none of it is my fault.

6 comments:

concerned one said...

Wow beau!
I'm so proud that you're looking for opportunities to get out & do good things with your life.
When the right thing comes along, everything will fall into place for you.
Way to go beau!

Casdok said...

I know the feeling. I do a lot of voluntary work, they are making it harder these days with costly training and health and safety etc.

Ann said...

Your branch of the Big Brothers Big Sisters must have different rules than ours... my BF doesn't drive, and he volunteers with them. He just has to meet the kid at the kid's school instead of their house. Are you sure that they really meant "driver's license" and not "state-issued ID"? Lots of places say the first as shorthand for the second.

You might want to look into volunteering with the activity/recreation department of your local nursing home, too. I work for one, and we don't require anything of our volunteers except that they treat the residents decently. Even if you don't think you'd be able to do the socializing thing, most nursing homes can always use help pushing people in wheelchairs to various activities, or serving food or drinks at meals, or helping someone play bingo or something.

Beau McClelland said...

Hi Ann,

Yes, they really do mean "driver's license". The only exceptions are if you're in the military, or are a non-resident student.

Club 166 said...

I would follow up with the hospital, and find out what they mean.

It could be that they're telling you that they are going to be investing a lot of money in specialized training for you, so don't apply unless you're serious about sticking with it.

Joe

Beau McClelland said...

Hi Joe,

Could be.

I'll ask them about it.